September 10th, 1898 —-> The last day of Empress Elisabeth
1) The Empress went fron the hotel where she stayed (the Beau Rivage) to the steamer that was going to take her to the next place she was going to visit.
2) A young man called Luigi Lucheni came and stabbed her. The Countess Irma Sztaray was walking lagged several meters behind the Empress.
3) Sissi fall to the floor and the man ran away. Immediately she got up but she wasn’t aware of what had really happened, she thought that the man wanted to steal her gold clock. Countess Sztaray asked her if she was feeling right but the Empress insisted in continuing the trip.
4) The Empress and her worried lady in waiting walked several meters and reached the steamer. Sissi was on the ship´s deck when suddenly she turned her head to her lady in waiting, the Empress was pale and then suffered a dismay.
5) Irma Sztaray had to reveal the ship’s captain the real identity of Empress Sissi who traveled under a false identity. When her corset was unfastened it was clearly seen a blood stain.
6) The ship’s captain after knowing that, decided to send the Empress back to her hotel in a makeshift stretcher. She died within a few hours in her room at Beau Rivage.
7) Image credits: imagno. Scene of the Empress’ burial, days later.
8) The Empress coffin.